- take your butternut squash and slice it down the middle. Scoop out the seeds and place it cut side down in a microwavable dish (with a lid) and about 1/4" of water. I cooked mine on high for 14 minutes; 1 half at a time.
- let squash cool so that you can peel it.
- mash squash. Add 1 egg, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and 1/4 tsp nutmeg. Mix.
- start adding flour about 1/2 a cup at a time until you have a semi-firm sticky dough. I used about 3 cups. Don't use too much flour or you will definitely taste it in your gnocchi.
- once you have a nice dough that sticks together get a medium size Ziploc bag and snip one bottom corner off. Fill the bag about half full for easy handling. Hold the bag like a piping bag over you pot of boiling salted water and start squeezing out dough. Use a sharp knife in your other hand and cut the dough in about 1" pieces.
- When the gnocchi floats on the top of the water it is done. Scoop it out with a slotted spoon and place in a warm dish.
Brown Butter Sauce
- in a small sauce pan melt 1/4 cup of salted butter and 1 Tbsp of Epicure Apple-Sage Dressing mix. Let the butter brown on a low heat so that the spice mix has some time to soften and the flavors meld.
- Pour over the gnocchi and serve!
I know that gnocchi should be rolled and then cut into pieces but I can nevr get that to work quite right. The Ziploc piping bag works like a charm though and I'm going to use that from now on. Half the work means quicker eating!