Monday, March 28, 2011

Make 5 Dinners in 1 Hour

My name is Barb, and I can not put together a meal plan to save my life.

I have tried so many times and it never lasts. If I could manage to make it through one week that would be a miracle! I would always get sidetracked looking for fabulous recipes, because really, who wants to eat the same thing over and over again. Blech!

I've tried the whole Freezer Cooking idea, but who has time to get all of that ready? Not me.

Then the other day, out in Blogland, this sign appeared before me



and before I knew it I had signed up to have 3 months of meal plans emailed to me! Hey, 3 months of meals plans for $15; hard to go wrong. On top of that, the premise is that you should be able to assemble a weeks worth of meals (5 suppers) and have them packaged and waiting in the fridge in under an hour. Sounds great, right? Sounds almost too good to be true? Well, after completing my second week of meals - I can say that it's not too good to be true - it's fabulous! The first weeks meal assembly took me 35 minutes to assemble! This weeks meals took 47 minutes and the meals are all happily marinating in the fridge waiting for their day to be cooked.

Yay me! I would have taken a picture, but you know me, the camera is not working :)

The meals have been great so far; even the little ones approve and they don't seem to like anything right now except for veggies and dip. This week we are having... Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches; Oven Roasted Chicken & Veggies; Sausage and Perogies; Slow Cooked Sweet & Sour Meatballs; and Slow Cooked Tex-Mex Roast. Now, I did make a few changes but they were quick and easy, substituting perogies for potatoes and a roast for pork chops. Hopefully Michelle won't mind ;)

And maybe the best thing of all - last week I only went to the grocery store one time during the week and that was just to pick up milk and diapers! It usually feels as though we are there everyday normally. Let's just say our bank account is certainly thankful for Make 5 Dinners in 1 Hour!

You should check out Michelle's Make Five Dinners in One Hour. Hopefully you'll be just as happy that you did as I am.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job! I too am enjoying the bliss of having my dinners already prepped!!!

Mom to One said...

I found her in blogland recently too! :) I requested this free trial menu and assembled everything on Sunday afternoon! LOVED the ease of having everything ready to roll this week!

Michelle P said...

I have a concern about the food safety aspect. If I buy meat on Sunday and it's not cooked by Friday, how can I be sure that it hasn't gone off? I don't like to keep meat in the fridge longer than a couple of days.

Barb said...

Aw, thanks for commenting!

Some meat will have a best before date on it, so that you you know if you are getting fresh meat or old meat, so to speak. The other thing that I do is buy a lot of meat and then freeze it in individaul pieces so that I can pull out the exact amount that I need. I also find that when adding frozen meat to a marinade in the fridge, it will take almost 2 days for the meat to even thaw out. This way I don't have to worry so much about it going bad before we get a chance to eat it. Also, if there is a meal planned for Friday but I'm worried about it, I might jsut switch that meal to earlier in the week and replace it with something that I wouldn't worry about.

Did this help?