Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Newest Must Have

I love sitting in the drugstore waiting for prescriptions to be filled; as long as there are no children with me. Hey, I'll take my alone time where ever I can get it! My first stop is the magazine rack where I grab one or two magazines that capture my interest. Then I high-tail it back to the waiting area and settle in silence to read.

Tonight on such an occasion, I was looking through the new Martha Stewart mag, Whole Living. I must have a subscription to this magazine!!! The articles were interesting and plentiful, anf the recipes are to die for! Here are a few that I'm dreaming of right now...

Soba Noodles, Shrimp, and Baby Bok Choy
Simmer shelled shrimp and baby bok choy wedges in salted water until shrimp are opaque and bok choy is tender, about 3 minutes. Lift from pot; set aside. Add soba to boiling water; drain when al dente and rinse in cold water. Stir minced ginger, sesame oil, tamari, and lime into noodles to taste. Divide among bowls and top with shrimp and bok choy.

 
 
 
 
Fattoush Salad
Combine diced red and green peppers, cucumber, and red onion with halved cherry tomatoes, chopped herbs (mint and parsley), and chickpeas. Dress with red-wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil, and season. Toast whole-wheat pita until crisp and break into small pieces; toss into salad and serve.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Heirloom Tomato Sandwich with Herbs and Creamy Tofu Spread
Pat dry 1/2 block extra firm tofu and blend with 3 tablespoons safflower oil, 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; season to taste. Spread onto sliced whole-grain bread and add tomato slices. Top with a handful of herbs, such as parsley, basil, chives, and cilantro. Season with sea salt.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Mussels in Tomato-and-Herb Broth
Simmer 1 1/2 cups water with 2 chopped tomatoes, 1/4 cup pitted oil-cured black olives, and 1/2 cup chopped herbs (thyme, basil, and parsley), about 5 minutes. Add 3 dozen mussels, cover and simmer until mussels open; discard any that don't. Serve with broth and crusty bread.

No comments: