Well, the weekend is over and the cake making is finished and it was a huge success.
I am so happy with the way that it turned out, I guess all of the stress was worth it in the end. Maybe the "rush" explains why I do this to myself...
It was quite an ordeal around here though because it seems that "someone" thinks that we can never have too much on our plates at once. The night that I finished baking the layers Mikah woke up screaming and proceeded to scream until 3:00am, when he woke up Lukas who started crying because he was burning up with a fever! We still don't know just what Mikah's issue was. He wasn't crying really, just lots of high pitched screaming. His specialty.
Thursday was mostly a write-off because Lukas was so sick. He didn't want to eat anything. He looked like the saddest little monkey in the world. Plus, I could not get the fondant that I made to work. It looked so promising each time that I rolled it out, but it stuck to the counter every time. It probably didn't help that I was absolutely exhausted because I had gotten no sleep the night before. Then Lukas woke up every 30-40 minutes Thursday night and so did Alek who had come down with a sore throat. We had cuddles and sleepy time tea at 1:30am. Oh, and Advil. Thank you Advil (from both of us LOL!) I think that I survived because my mother-in-law had called Thursday evening wondering if I could use a helper Friday. YES I COULD!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you. The kids were all starting to feel better Friday but with her help I was able to get out of the door at a reasonable time, somewhat sane and with a big bucket of fondant that I bought. Homemade fondant is a big pile of rubbish.
Friday night was long but by about 10:00 Heidi had the bottom layers assembled and filled and the cake was setting in the fridge. I had the top two layers covered in fondant, ready to be decorated the next day. At 7:00 Saturday morning I was at the kitchen table kneading about 8 lbs of fondant. In order to cover the bottom layer which was 14.5" in diameter and 7" high I needed to roll out a piece of fondant that was about 27" wide and 27" high. Then because Heidi and I work so well together she held one end of my homemade 3' rolling pin, I held the other and we rolled the fondant up and draped it over the cake. It worked on the first try! I almost had to sit down with my head between my knees for awhile. I think it was the sickest I had felt since I found out that I was expecting for the third time LOL! I spent the rest of the morning doing the scroll work and it was ready to be taken to the wedding site. The bottom layer weighed about 60 lbs.
The cake was a breeze to set up and it looked fabulous when it was finished. About 6 guests asked me if I had a card while Iwas assembling the cake. It took all of my will power not to shout "Good God No!!!" at them. I think I let them down politely, but at that point I was so dizzy with relief maybe I really did shout "Good God No!!!" That could explain the sudden silence. Hmm...
The Groom, in his posh British accent, said that the cake was "F%$&ing Awesome!"
High praise indeed.
I guess I didn't feel immediate relief that the job was done because hallucinations of the cake imploding kept me tossing and turning for quite some time Saturday night.