Saturday, May 9, 2009

Making Moss

The back portion of my yard is a wasteland. The neighbor has a huge tree back there and, while it provides wonderful shelter for us around the fire pit on rainy nights, nothing grows. The ground is dirt. Leaves and dirt; dirt and leaves. I really want to make the whole yard kid accessible and kid friendly but haven't quite been able to figure out what to do. One of my brilliant plans involved making a nice moss bed out of that portion of the yard. How much fun would that be? A soft, spongy fairyland on which the kids can play. And it would be hard for them to ruin. Unlike grass. But I had no idea how to make moss grow back there. Then today I found this on my Internet travels.

Growing Moss
To start moss, take whatever you might be able to find around your yard and remove as much dirt as possible. Put the moss in a blender, add ½ teaspoon sugar and a can of buttermilk or cheap beer, blend until the moss breaks down, then spread the soupy mixture with a clean paintbrush over the patio blocks.

Now, between you and me, I don't know if I will actually tackle this strange idea of mine but, at least I now know how it can be done.

No comments: