Thursday, August 27, 2009

Breakfast Ideas

Well, to go along with my last post about how happy I am that school is starting again, I have to think about breakfast again. Quick nutritious breakfasts. I'm trying to wean out the Cinnamon Eggos; while quick, tasty and almost mess-less as they can be eaten without syrup I'm sure that they have the nutritional equivalent of cardboard. It's hard to get breakfast made and eaten and 3 boys plus myself up and ready and out of the door on time. Without a lot of screaming. I'm hoping that we can cut down on the amount of morning fits this year. That applies to all of us, but is another post entirely.


So, I'm going to start posting breakfast ideas. I'll try them out, you try them out and we'll compare notes. I found this one today at Balancing Beauty & Bedlam. Hm, it sounds good and it looks good, so we shall see. Plus, I bet it could be made and cooked the night before and re-heated in the morning.
Baked Oatmeal
5 cups rolled oats (not instant...rolled and steel cut are where the health benefits abound)
2 cups milk
4 large eggs
3/4 cup honey
1 TB Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
Seasonal fruit ( I have enjoyed strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, peaches, apples etc).


Mix together and pour into a 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown. We serve with milk and a bit of syrup (optional) This reheats well.

No comments: