Sunday, December 28, 2008

Pineapple Upside Down Cake

I indulged tonight. As Alek and I were rushing through Superstore at mealtime (yes, I must plan better) these ended up in the cart. All I can say is, "Thank you President's Choice!" OMG, those little cakes were so good, they were just like the real thing. Granted I haven't tasted real pineapple upside down cake in years. Not since my mom gave up her "microwave cooking phase". I can picture the upside down cakes that she cooked in that old microwave like it was yesterday and we were all sitting at the kitchen table eagerly awaiting dessert.

But I digress.

Everyone liked the PC version so much that I must try and find a good recipe. And yes, I'm going to try and find a microwave one just like my mom used.

Ah ha! I found one here...

Pineapple Upside Down Cake (Microwave)

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Margarine
1/3 cup Firmly packed light brown sugar
16 ounces Pineapple slices, canned
4 Maraschino cherries, halved
1 1/4 cups Flour
3/4 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons Baking powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Egg
1/3 cup Oil
1 cup Pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon Almond extract

Directions:
1. Cut 2 circles of waxed paper to fit bottom of microwaveable 8 inch round cake pan.
2. Place margarine on waxed paper. Microwave on high, 45 seconds; sprinkle brown sugar on melted margarine and arrange 7 pineapple slices on sugar, add cherries to center of pineapple slices.
3. Put flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in mixing bowl. Blend together egg, oil, pineapple juice, and extracts. Pour into dry ingredients and blend with wooden spoon. Pour batter over pineapple slices. Microwave at 50% (medium) 5 minutes. Rotate disk once. Microwave on high, 4 to 4 1/2 minutes, rotating dish twice. Let stand in pan 5 minutes. Invert onto Serving Plate. Peel off wax paper if it comes out with cake.

(I'm going to try this but without the cherries. And I'll use a microwave safe bundt pan which will hopefully help the cake cook more evenly. Uncooked cake centers are not good.)

No comments: