Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mikah Swears

Mikah is just like the parrot that has an unbelievable vocabulary of inappropriate words that are expressed loudly at inappropriate times. Honestly, this kids vocabulary would make a trucker proud. Alek really never swore so this is a new one for us to deal with. And, as the parent who is most guilty of helping him increase his vocabulary, I get the job of trying to explain why he can't use bad words. As you can imagine, reasoning with a know-it-all 3 year old never goes over very successfully. For instance, and please try not to judge me too harshly, in the yard today Mikah and Lukas were fighting over who got to sit in the car when I heard this come out of my darling's mouth, "get off you stupid asshole." I reprimanded him right away and he looked up at me with his deep blue eyes and said, "it's ok Mommy, I was only talking to Lukas, not you." Somehow he is smart enough to grasp the concept that certain language can be appropriate within your own peer set, but how to convince him that "asshole" is not the type of word one would use when your peers are 3 years old???

Yes, my own love of "bad" words is coming back to haunt me. In spades.

No comments: